Energy efficient appliances for your kitchen
It can be expensive to upgrade your home appliances. You can, however, save money in the long run by choosing wisely. A new appliance’s rating is an important factor to consider before purchasing it.
Under current EU law, all appliances you buy must carry an energy-efficiency label.
Energy Efficient Appliances for your Kitchen – Ratings from A-G
The ratings go from A (green and most efficient) to G (red and least efficient).
How do energy efficiency labels work?
Energy ratings are given to products based on their size. Therefore, two differently sized appliances with the same energy rating will use different amounts of electricity. An A+++ fridge freezer compared to an A+ model could save you as much as £200 and 580kg of CO2 over the appliance’s lifetime.
How to calculate an appliance’s cost per day
Want to know whether your current appliances are energy-efficient? There’s a simple sum to calculate its daily cost. Take the wattage and multiply that by the hours of use per day, then divide the total by 1000. The result is the appliance’s estimated daily kilowatt-hour (kWh).
Cooker. Choose an oven with an A+ rating. A pyrolytic function can also be an energy-intensive means of cleaning which can contribute to higher running costs.
Hotpoint MWH 338 SX Combi Microwave Oven and Grill
- Microwave oven and grill
- 2-direction heat distribution
- Capacity: 33 litres
- Microwave power: 900 W
- 10-Year Parts Warranty
Energy efficient Microwave
They provide a much more energy-efficient way of cooking food as unlike ovens they only heat your food and not the air space inside.
Russell Hobbs RHMD714G 17 L 700 W Scandi Grey Digital Microwave
- SCANDI STYLE – Wooden effect handle and dial for a Scandinavian-inspired finish
- COMPACT DESIGN – Ideal for kitchens with limited space
- 8 AUTO COOK MENUS – 8 auto cook menus for cooking convenience
- 5 POWER LEVELS – 5 microwave power levels to tailor your cooking experience
- MULTI-STAGE COOKING – Allows customers to cook one dish at different power levels for desired times
- Dimensions (cm) – H25.8 x W45.1 x D32.8
Dishwasher. Choose an A+++ rating as they cost around £7 less to run than the lowest-rated dishwashers that you can buy of the same size, and they use less water.
Temperature Controlled Kettle
Invest in a kettle that only boils the amount of water you need to save around 20% less energy than a traditional kettle.
- 4 TEMPERATURE SETTINGS: Perfect tea every time thanks to individual LED temperature settings 70°C, 80°C, 90°C and boiling that are ideal for black tea, green tea, white tea, coffee and more
- COOL TO TOUCH: The double wall of the kettle keeps the boiled water hotter for longer, while the outside remains cool and safe to touch. High quality with innovative safety features.
- KEEP WARM FUNCTION: Keeps the selected temperature for up to 30 minutes. Limescale filter and enclosed heating element makes cleaning your kettle quick and simple
- SAFETY PROTECTIONS: The triple safety feature includes automatic shut-off, overheat and boil-dry protection, and lift switch-off features, while convenient cord storage under the base keeps you and your kettle safe
Energy-efficient Slow cooker
Morphy Richards 461021 6.5L Easy Time Slow Cooker
- Removes the Guesswork – You select the time, and it selects the heat setting
- Easy Time Selection – Use the dial to set the cooking time required
- Auto Keep Warm – Meal is ready when you are
- Count Down Indicator – Easily see how much cooking time is left
- Over-ride / manual heat setting – For if you need to amend the cooking time
Energy-efficient kitchen toaster
Breville VTT981 Edge 2-slice toaster
- Brushed stainless steel finish with a contemporary textured rim for a sleek, modern look
- Specifically designed to toast any tall slice of bread to the top
- Variable width bread slots allow for both thick and thin slices; variable browning control lets you pick your preferred shade of golden brown
- Lift and Look function lets you check your toast mid-cycle; the High Lift feature means smaller items can be removed easily without burning fingers
- Defrost, reheat and mid-cycle cancel functions, plus removable crumb tray, non-slip base and cord storage
- Complete your stainless steel kettle and toaster set with the matching Edge kettle
Energy saving tips
- Install a smart meter to make costing up your usage easier
- Don’t leave your appliances on standby
- Switch your appliances off at the wall rather than on standby
- Defrost your food in the fridge to help keep its temperature down
- Batch cook when you can
- Check the seals on your fridge and freezer – loose or broken seals should be replaced
- Look out for frost build-up in your freezer – thaw it when it gets to around ¼ inch thick
- Only boil the amount of water you need
- Load the dishwasher correctly to maximise space and wash full loads
- Open your dishwasher door to let your dishes dry naturally, rather than using the drying cycle
- Use your microwave more to save time and money overheating a traditional oven for certain dishes
- Use a microwave to reheat food
- Choose the right size pan for your hob ring e.g. small ring for a small pan
- Opt for a larger pan to make the most of the surface area
- Keep your stovetop clean
- Use your low-wattage slow cooker or pressure cooker rather than the hob for long cooking
If you want more tips and tricks to save money on energy/water around your home have a look at my other posts with lots more information
Here is another brilliant website I’ve found for more tips and tricks to save money